Friday, December 21, 2012

So Far, So Good

DeBary, FL. (Or what used to be Debary)

47 deg. clear, light westerly winds.

Forecast = (is a forecast really necessary?) Partly cloudy in the morning, then clear. High of 59F. Breezy. Winds from the WNW at 15 to 20 mph.


Well, so far, so good. Since I'm still writing this post, the world must not have ended yet!!! I haven't heard about any major catastrophic events, and my compass is still pointing the right way, so I presume that the earth's magnetic fields haven't swapped from one pole to the other. I also haven't seen any spacecraft zooming through the sky, looking to pick up "believers", and I haven't heard anything about a planet streaking through space on it's way towards a collision with the earth.

Now, the day is still early and I suppose something could still happen, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Could this be just one more goofy prediction like the ones that were making the news at the turn of the century?

You remember Y2K at the turn of the century don't you? Remember all the computers were going to crash? The electric power was going to go off and some were predicting that "Life as you knew it" was going to change forever?

Well, nothing happened then, and I'm thinking that nothing is going to happen now either.

So, if your reading this, either nothing happened or your a Space Alien who found this computer someplace in the galaxy and you've figured out how to read this blog that may have been published a bazillion years ago.

Here's something you may enjoy. it's titled Oops! 11 Failed Doomsday Predictions. It seems like people have been predicting the end of the earth for quite some time.

Did you know that in 1836, Alabama is the first state in the USA to declare Christmas a legal holiday and in 1907, Oklahoma became the last USA state to declare Christmas a legal holiday?






2 comments:

  1. Glad we're all still here :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to cover all bases at 11:59 last night I bent over and kissed my butt goodbye--but here I am this morning alive and well and with a well kissed butt.

    Oh, Y2K did affect all computer programs (computer hardware was never in jeopardy) that were not prepared. Programmers for years wrote programs that if needing dates the year was always only two digits. So if you owed an amount in 1999 that was due in January, 2000 the program then assumed you were 100 years late with your payment and charged interest accordingly. So Y2K was a real cause for worry. Programs had to be written to account for a four digit year, I asked our programmers at work if they thought the world would end in 1999 and didn't ever worry about 2000.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a Comment