Sunday, March 18, 2012

Talk About Timing

Maricopa, AZ

45 deg. cloudy, light rain, windy.

Forecast = Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain showers. High of 64F. Winds from the SW at 5 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 80% with rainfall amounts near 0.2 in. possible.

We had a lot of wind go through here last night!!! The gusts had to be well over 50 mph and I'm sure glad that Jim and Linda had brought my slides in, cause I don't think there would be anything left to the slide-out awnings this morning!!!!

Before I get to the main part of this post, I want to share some photos of the Benson I-10 RV Park.

This first one is of the office / laundry.


This next photo is a view of the park from the office area.


My site had a cement patio with a picnic table.

All in all, a pretty nice park.

Now back to the Title of this post.

Both Jim and Linda decided that an early start to yesterday's travels would be best. The forecast was for strong winds with gusts to over 40 mph, but most reports agreed that the winds wouldn't start blowing in earnest until later in the morning.

So, , , , , , ,at 8:25 we pulled out of the Benson I-10 RV Park and continued our westward wanderings. The sun was shining and there was a little breeze blowing, but nothing that I could even feel. When we came to Tucson, the traffic became a little heavier, but other than one slowdown, we moved right along.

When we came to the junction of I-10 and I-8, we turned West on I-8 and followed it to exit 161 where we turned North for about 3 miles. There, we came to US 84 where we tuned West. After 5 miles we came to the John Wayne RV Ranch on the left side of the road.

It was 10:30 when we pulled up to the stop sign at the office, so it took us 2 hours and 5 minutes to travel 128 miles.

Now, this is where the timing comes in. Just after we turned off of I-8 at exit 161, the wind picked up a little, and about 15 minutes after I was in my site here at the park, it really started blowing!!

By dinner time, the winds had picked up to about 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph. : (

This is a nice park. The folks in the office were supper friendly and Gene, (the man who led me to my site and helped Jim position me), was really friendly and helpful too.
Again, this is a desert RV Park and there's no grass. There's some small trees and they've landscaped where they could. The photo below is what you see when you come into the park. As you can see there's cactus and a few trees.


The shuffleboards (the green cement at the far left of the photo), and horse shoe pits.


My site, you can see how large it is. It has full hook-ups, 50 amp electric free wi-fi, and of course is a pull-through that is long enough for me and CLT.


A view down the street in front of me.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think this park has anything to do with "John Wayne", the movie star. There's no reference to him that I've seen. Maybe I can get Jim to ask at the office where the name came from.

Did you know that there is a possible 25 years in prison for cutting down a cactus in Arizona?

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of this park. Thanks for the review. We are in Goodyear right now and may consider for our next trip. We had tons of wind and rain also. All is calm right now. ~wheresweaver

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a Comment